Saturday 24 January 2015

Reminiss interview




Can you tell us how you went about writing the track ‘Message to My Brother’ for the film? 
I related to a lot of the issues that are tackled in the film as I have grown up in similar areas. The themes in the film are also familiar to me so the content of my lyrics came quite easily. I chose to write the song from the perspective of the two lead characters to explore in depth a brother’s relationship again drawing from my own experience of having two younger brothers. This was the basis of the song so I kept the chorus simple with a clear message. No pun intended!


If you could have written any song past or present what would it be?
A very difficult question for any song writer to answer but if I had to answer then it would be, ‘Buffalo Soldier’ by Bob Marley because that song takes me back to my childhood, as Mum and Dad were constantly playing Bob Marley tracks. I love this song because it is timeless, the message is strong, and the honesty in the lyrics and the emotions it brings up.


When did you first know you wanted to become a musician? 
As a teenager I used to dabble in making beats and writing. I have always been  interested in listening to and the process of making music. It was in my early 20’s that I decided to focus on being a song writer which led me onto releasing my first EP ‘Late  Arrival’ on http://pinnacleroots.bandcamp.com/album/late-arrival-ep


What musicians have inspired you?
As earlier mention, I love the emotions of Bob Marley and Sam Cooke’s music. As a big  hip-hop fan growing up though, I was influenced lyrically by artist like Nas, Joe Budden, and Lupe Fiasco amongst others. I have also been inspired by bands like Kasabian, Elbow, The White Stripes and Joy Division. I try to take inspiration from all music I listen to and Incorporate elements of it into my own music/sound. Final mention, James Brown, Legend!


BROTHERS' DAY premieres in Manchester in February. You can buy a ticket for the event here.


Next time we catch up with Brothers' Day Stainless, cast member and Musician.



You can follow us on Twitter and Facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment